DRY ICE SAFETY, HANDLING, STORAGE, USE AND COOLING TIMES

CAUTION: Solid Carbon Dioxide (Dry-ice) is -109.3 degrees Fahrenheit.

D.O.T. shipping classification is ORM-A UN-1845 PKG Group 111 Class 9

Dry ice makes Carbon Dioxide gas as it sublimates (melts). Do not place dry ice in air-tight containers, as they may explode. Only use dry ice in open or well ventilated areas. Since Carbon Dioxide is heavier than air, it will accumulate in lower areas. Dry ice may cause a lack of oxygen, and suffocation can occur causing serious injury or death. Dry ice is harmful if eaten or swallowed.

- Keep out of reach of children.

- Intentional misuse of dry ice may be harmful or fatal.

- Use only under adult supervision.

HANDLING

Dry ice is a skin and eye irritant. Always use heavy-duty gloves to handle. Avoid contact with skin, mouth, eyes and clothing. May cause severe frostbite or burns. If eaten, or frostbite occurs, do not smoke. Seek medical help immediately.

Never transport dry ice in the passenger compartment of an automobile. Put the dry ice in the trunk, or keep all windows open while traveling.

STORAGE

Use an insulated (non air-tight) cooler to store dry ice. Use crumpled-up newspapers to take up voids or air space in container. Do not place dry ice in a working refrigerator or freezer.

HOW TO USE

FOR FREEZING: Place dry ice on top of items to be frozen. Use an insulating material, like cardboard, to separate ice from frozen items. Do not allow direct contact with items to be frozen. Superficial or freezer burn may occur.

FOR COOLING: Place dry ice in bottom of cooler, cover with wet ice or insulating material, then place food, cans, etc, on top. Do not allow direct contact with dry ice.

FOR SPECIAL EFFECTS: Use gloves to place small amounts of dry ice in hot water for fog. Use approximately 2 slices per hour.

APPROXIMATE COOLING TIMES

1/2 - 1 slice - 18 to 24 hours

1 - 1 1/2 slices - 24 to 40 hours

1 1/2 - 2 slices - 40 to 60 hours